Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kelly's Korner - Adoption Stories

I'm participating this week in Kelly's Korner - Show us your life: Share your Adoption Stories. I think this is an amazing opportunity to meet other adoptive parents, waiting parents, and birthparents. I will share our journey thus far and try to keep it brief.

Our journey started about 6 1/2 years ago when Cart and I decided we were going to get married. We were not using protection and I couldn't take birth control (it had already messed up my cycle in a bad way). Shortly after we got married I went to my OB/GYN for my regular visit and mentioned we were officially trying but hadn't been preventing for the 2yrs prior. He thought it was odd that since I had been pregnant before in my previous marriage that we should of had an "oops" by now. So he had Cart tested and that is when it all changed.

Cart had a decent count, and they swam in the same direction however they were ALL the wrong shape. My doc referred us to the RE who suggest that we do IUI. We did 2 IUI's with no success. We then moved onto IVF. During my cycle I was on one of the highest dosages of stims he could put me on. The retrieved 4 eggs and of those four only 1 made it to a 3dt (January 2008). Our 1 embie implanted and grew for 6 weeks and then it all came crashing down. My numbers rose and dropped for another 5 weeks. My body finally expelled the pregnancy 5weeks after the first time they said I would miscarry(February 14, 2008).

I was heart broken and devasted. Cart was heartbroken as well. We took 2 days to ourselves and then right before the 5week mark went on our 2nd Anniversary trip. That was in March 2008.

In October 2008 we decided that we would pursue International Adoption. We submitted our initial application to the agency expressing our interest in the Philipines. The agency turned us down as that country frowned upon certain mental health problems (anxiety and depression). At that point we took a break.

Then June 2009, my best friend Sarah called me and asked if we had ever considered embryo adoption. I had actually put our profile on Miracles Waiting. Anyway, she called to say that a co-workers friend just had triplet girls and they had 2 embryos frozen. They were done building their family and wanted to donate those embies to another couple. We were totally interested and in July we spoke with B. We had already had a trip planned to visit Sarah and her family so while we were there in August we met with B and her husband. There was good chemistry between all of us and it was a good match. We got all the contracts done and signed before returning home.

October 2009 I started to prepare for the transfer in November. Everything was going wonderfully. Our new RE was great and my lining and numbers were looking good. The morning of the transfer I took my valium and went for a massage. I was nice and relaxed. Once we got there the nurse took us back and took me to the room. Then the IVF coordinator came in and said Doc wanted to see us. He told us that our embies didn't survive the thaw. We were heartbroken again. The very next day I went to visit Sarah in her new state for a week.

In March 2010 I started back to school. I was busy and enjoying life. We decided to pursue Domestic Infant adoption during the summer. In September 2010 we went for our first orientation. In October we submitted our initial application. Also in October I found out we won a FB contest through our bank and we won $5,000 to go towards our adoption. November was our adoption class. Then this past week we finished all the home visits, interviews, and now I just need to finish the profile book. After I submit our profile book we will be a waiting family! Right before our home visit we heard from a friend that they knew someone who just had twin girls and didn't want them. We still haven't heard on that situation and I'm not sure we will. I do know that we have amazing support from our friends and family.

Please feel free to follow us on our journey to our first child.

4 comments:

Just Believing said...

So glad to know the whole journey! Thinking ofyou guys !

Ashley said...

Wow, I didn't know about your EA history. That would be heartbreaking. I can't wait to see what God has in store for you this year!

Leah said...

I've been following your blog for such a long time, but I don't think I ever knew your history. You guys have had a long journey, and I can't wait until your baby is in your arms. :)

J said...

Your history is long and filled with heartache, just like ours. I have faith that you will get your happy ending. Your empty arms will soon be full.