Since having communication issues with our agency I've been asking myself What is the Agency's Role in our adoption? The agency asked us this question before our adoption class. I wish I had saved my answers.
But in thinking of this question, I feel they are there for us to answer any questions we have, to get us ready to adopt, and to facilitate the adoption. I think because we are paying them a boat load of money for the adoption that they should return phone calls and emails in a timely manner. I think they should stick to our timeline as close as possible.
We were suppose to have our fee meeting before Thanksgiving. We still haven't had this fee meeting and it isn't suppose to happen until after the New Year. We were suppose to have our individual interviews before the Christmas Holiday and now it won't happen probably until January sometime. We were suppose to be a waiting family by the end of January but now I'm thinking the end of February.
I know adoptions don't go smoothly so don't think I have this misconception about adoption. I just want our agency whom we are paying to do some things when they say they are going to do them. Or at least return phone calls when I have questions.
So what do you feel is the Agency's Role in adoption?
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
11 months ago

3 comments:
Breen, How frustrating! I agree with you. I think that you are the "customer" and as such you are paying them to do a task (or many tasks.) Because of that, they shoul dbe professionally enough to foloow through and get their heads out of the sand and do their job correctly. I would be extremely upset at them. I would tell them how I feel and start looking for another agency. (One who actually does what they are supposed to do.) Good luck to you. I'm mad for you. LOL
We adopted from a state other than the one we reside in and therefore used 2 different agencies, one here and one there. The agency here did our application, homestudy visits, and state approvals and the other actually did the placement. That being said, we had an uneasy feeling about our home state agency from the start and never did switch because it just seemed too time consuming and now that they are doing our post placement visits and finalization I really regret not going with my gut and switching or handling my unhappiness earlier. They always seem bothered when we ask questions and seem annoyed that we are unsure of the legal aspects that go along with adoption. On the other hand, our out of state agency is warm, efficient, and more that willing to assist with anything. It makes a world of difference.
If you feel like your expectations aren't being met then speak up and ask for things to be handled differently. Like you said, you pay them a butt load of money and should feel comfortable with them. I feel the same way, I paid you thousands of dollars if I want to call twice in one day because I forgot something the first time I called then I should be more than welcome to do so. Don't wait to make things right because you may just grow even more unsure of them. Good Luck to you!
I'm a little frustrated with our agency as well- they're doing us the same way. I've learned that it's true....be the squeaky wheel! They're providing a service to YOU. Keep after them!
Post a Comment