This article was posted on the IVF board I am apart of and a fellow blogger also posted it. This is a very good article about how many women are affected by infertility and that most of them keep their silence. Many women avoid all things baby because they struggle to have one of their own.
In the past I've posted insensitive things to say to couples with fertility problems. I have also mentioned that I see a therapist to help cope with our infertility. There is one topic that really bothers me most about people who don't have fertility problems when they talk to me.
This has actually happened to me and I have been afraid to talk about this out of fear of losing a friend. But my happiness is important too. When we were going through IUIs, IVF, and the embryo adoption I had a friend who would say God didn't intend you to put those medications into your body. Yes my friend really said this. There are some women who are infertile who chose not to undergo treatments because of their beliefs. This is their right and if they said this to me I wouldn't be offended. Because they know what I am going through. But a friend who has a child and got pregnant easily saying this to me...it stings. I have taken a full session to talk about this friend and the way she judges me in regards to our treatments. But now I feel okay to talk about it and to address it with my friend. I do have one friend Sarah who is the bestest ever and I can talk to her anytime with out this fear. So at least I have one friend who hasn't experienced fertility problems but understands me :)
In the article above the woman hides her treatments from family. I don't want to hide any future treatments or adoption plans from anyone. But I don't want to be judged either. So I have learned who to have in our support group and who can be left out.
The article also talks about women who are afraid to talk to anyone about their infertility. As a bartender I have many many customers ask me if I have kids etc. I get the comment it will happen you just have to relax. My comeback for that is "I wish it was that easy". Many regulars know our problems and have support for us and pray for us. The new customers I'm vague but give a little detail. Just to let them know this isn't a conversation I want to have.
I do hope one day that insurance companies are required to cover all thing related to infertility to help couples have children. This includes coverage for IVF and the expensive medications. I think we all should do our part and contact our senators and congressreps and ask for their support in the Family Building Act.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
9 months ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment