Tuesday, July 27, 2010

First Reply

I sent emails to two agencies about getting info. I heard back from one (mrs. frig it is the one you found) yesterday. It's actually a law firm here in town. He sent me a info packet and paperwork to fill out. But here is were I'm hesitant...they want us to send the info packet back and then they will contact us about a consultation appt. At that appointment we bring $500 non-refundable for the consultation. Then they will tell us our fees. I'm not so sure about that. They don't make it clear anywhere on their website about "advertising" or if they have a website for birthmoms to look at. So I'm very weary of this.

I'm waiting to talk to two more agencies and then we'll decide which one to go with. We aren't in a real rush right now to proceed. I'm thinking we'll start the first of the year...or just start filling out paperwork in the Fall and then really start in January. The fall seems like it will be super busy for me (5 classes, 8hrs internship a week, working full time, lia sophia part time) and I don't want to stick Cart with all the responsibility of the paperwork and other stuff. So slowly but surely we will get there.


6 comments:

Leah said...

I think the standard is definitely free consultations. I wouldn't want to pay a place $500 up front, especially if you decide not to go with them.

Mrs. Frig said...

Ditto to the PP!

Rach said...

I've talked with two agencies and both had free consults.

Anonymous said...

I would also be a little worried about the non-refundable consultation fee. We did our home study through an Orlando attorney ran agency and they offered free informational meetings and consultation. We didn't pay anything until we turned in our application.

Heather said...

Stopping by from ICLW. DH and I are in the process of adopting too--from Korea. (And we live in Florida too!) I'm interested to hear how your journey goes.

Take care.

nh said...

Stopping by from ICLW
I'm sorry no advice about the agencies - because we are adopting from the foster care system (as most people do in the UK) we have no fees to pay, apart from possibly court fees to finalise the adoption! Good luck finding an agency you can work with.