Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The story

I figured I should get this written before I forget. Faithe's birth day story.

On Thursday afternoon Cart picked me up from school with the car packed and we headed down south. It was a long drive and I was tired. When we arrived at our hotel I let Rebecca know we were there and told her we would get to the hospital early and if she wanted to see us she could let the nurse know and we would come see her.

Friday morning we woke up and got ready. While I'm sitting on the potty (yes totally need that detail) Rebecca texts me and asks if we are there yet that she needed to see us. Crap we hadn't even left yet. So I rush and we practically run out the door. We get to the Birth hospital and get through security and head to triage where she is on the monitors. We talked for a few, met the nurses, and then it was time. They told us where to wait and the nurse who would be taking care of Faithe said she would come get us as soon as she could. Well she came and called us over. She had just wheeled Faithe out of the OR. I was looking at her and she just couldn't help herself and let me hold her in the hallway and walk a little bit down the hallway with her(totally against rules). We went up the elevator with her and straight to the nursery with Faithe. We stayed with her while she was under the heat laps and while she got the Vitamin K shot and eye oitment. We were even there for her first bath. Just a few hours after birth I gave her her first feeding of about .5 oz. She was hungry.

We were able to stay in the nursery with her all weekend. The OR nurse who took care of her accidentally gave both of us the bracelets so we walked in and out of the nursery for a few days before they took Cart's bracelet away. Then he had to check in with security everyday. While we were there we would go visit Rebecca in her room every so often. If she wanted to see Faithe she would text me to bring her down. This happened 3 times and we only stayed about 10-15min each time. She came to the nursery once she was able to walk a few times as well. She only held Faithe once and that was on Saturday night after we had gone to the hotel to sleep.

On Sunday morning Rebecca told us that she was ready to go home and had asked to be discharged. So things on Sunday happened quickly and slowly. I knew the agency had appointments at 1 and 2 so signing the papers would have to happen before or after. Rebecca was discharged around 1ish and the cab took her home. At about 3pm the agency went to her house and the papers were signed. The agency came to the hospital and Faithe was discharged by 4pm. While we were waiting for paper signing and such Cart went to the hotel and packed us up. We decided instead of staying over night we would just head home. We were so glad we did. Faithe had a very rough night on Sunday and we didn't get much sleep.

I can say that the nursing staff at the hospital was wonderful! They took good care of our little Faithe when we weren't there and offered advice and coaching as needed. They were a great support to have there while our family was hours away.


3 comments:

kdactyl said...

Oh...those first moments and days are sooooo exhausting but also soooo wonderful. I'm so glad Rebecca was confident in her decision and you have a good relationship with her. It will be wonderful for you to be able to share this experience with Faithe when she is older.

So happy for you and your new little family. Enjoy these early days. I know it is bittersweet after the sudden death of your father. I am keeping you all in my prayers.
kd

Britney said...

what a beautiful story! thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Im am so very happy for you! Im glad I got to read about this whole experience for you even though I only know you through PO I feel like you are a very good friend. Congrat again on your sweet baby girl!