When we went to our initial orientation meeting with the agency and filled out the first form for "race" we put undecided. We had talked about this topic before but hadn't come to a complete agreement on what we were both comfortable with. We've been going back and forth on the topic and still haven't decided.
The other day while I was doing field experience at a school I was told that one of the African-American girls in the class was adopted by a white couple. Later I was told that this particular little girl came up to her teacher and said "I wish I was white."
This really made me think about the challenges we would face if we adopted an AA child. What if our child made the above comment to her teacher. What would her teacher say to her? What would I say as a teacher if a child came up to me and said that.
It is a lot to consider and make a decision that is best for our family and the best interest of any child we plan to adopt.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
9 months ago

2 comments:
Hi Breen,
You pose some thought provoking questions that are surely worth consideration. I want to share two links with you that I think you'll find will help you in your decision.
First, here is the link to Open Adoption Bloggers:
http://www.productionnotreproduction.com/
The founder has adopted an african-american girl as a baby. She also has an adopted son as well. I think that you will find her perspective helpful, but you should also check out her blogroll. There are blogs listed from all perspectives of open adoption (adult adoptees, birth moms, adoptive parents, etc). Since you are doing a domestic adoption, I think that this will be a most valuable resource for you. In fact, you could become part of the blogroll (I'm listed!).
Next, check out A Bushel and a Peck:
http://keirajoy07.blogspot.com/
Christie, the author, and her husband have adopted a little boy from Ethiopia and a little girl from China. Her writing and perspective are both amazing, and wait til you see her kids. Oh my! Your heart will melt. I am SURE that she would be happy to answer any questions you might have about her experience as a white mom with an african-american child.
Let me know what you think and best of luck in this very exciting leg of your journey.
http://funnylittlepollywogs.com
My husband and I had several conversations when we were discussing adoption. It is a very tough decision and many pros and cons. You just have to go with what you are comfortable with.
Post a Comment