Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Adoption Cost

I'm constantly going over our budget to see what we can cut out or reduce so that we can save the adoption money faster. I know we don't need to save the entire amount thanks the the adoption benefit through Cart's work. But when that money runs out we have to have the rest saved up.

The other day I talked with the Director of the program at CHS. I was able to get some more answers to our questions like
How much does it cost with CHS
Will we be able to use the references we used for the first homestudy.

We still have to go to the orientation on the 7th and we'll get an "overload" of information as she put it. But she did tell me the cost was $15,100. To me that is a little more reasonable than some of the other agencies fees. The good news is that amount isn't all due at once. It happens in stages with the bulk due at placement and before finalization takes place. So that is the good news. We can start sooner than later. But right now we are hoping to start the homestudy at the end of the year/ in January.

The other news is that while we can't use the reference letters that were sent in with our last homestudy we can use the same references. We want to change some of the references but not all.

Now I do have a question for you who have domestic infant adoption. When did you start to set up your nursery? Cart and I were talking about getting it set up when we start the homestudy. I'm scared that we would get the call and not have anything for the baby. But I'm also scared if we set up the nursery it will jinx us. Are these normal fears? So what did you do?

6 comments:

Britney said...

Very exciting for you! I started our nursery almost immediately. One, because I knew it would take me a long time to get it just how I wanted it. But, two, because I needed a project during this period of waiting. I'd love to chat more offline about your journey and share stories! I'm at bacolton@hotmail.com

Rach said...

It is so expensive. The agencies we talked to quoted $28K-$42K. Another scary thing, the federal adoption credit is scheduled to be ending at the end of 2011. So if the adoption isn't finalized by then, there is no guarantee that credit will still be available.

Ms. Pollywog said...

I say that there is nothing wrong with starting the nursery in celebration of completing the home study process! There is no such thing as jinxing! There is only sending the positive vibes out into the universe so that they come back to you. There are prayers, of course, too!

http://funnylittlepollywogs.com/

Anonymous said...

So glad your moving along in the process! I think that fee you were quoted is pretty reasonable. We've only had to pay the application fee, home study fees, and the cost of our profile books until placement. Once we take placement we owe the majority of the total fees and then when we finalize we owe the remainder.

Regarding the nursery, you can tell yourselves you won't do a thing until your matched but you will! Fortunately we only had a month from the time our home study was completed until we got matched so we got to go crazy shopping but originally we had planned to make our first major nursery purchase when we got word that we were approved and then slowly add to the nursery one thing at a time until matched.

Have fun shopping!

Mrs. Frig said...

I would do something because you're right the call can come as a surprise. Someone I know got a call and the baby was already at the hospital.

Three Cats and a Baby said...

We did our nursery very early. It's sometimes hard to deal with when you have a very long wait. Nothing worse than dusting your nursery. But, I don't regret doing it b'c it's comforting to know it's there when we need it.

FYI-That price is low. Sounds good.

And don't worry about the adoption tax credit. Everytime it has expired it has been renewed for an even higher amount. So there is no reason to assume it wouldn't be again.