I'm in my 3rd week of school and we are currently in the 2nd chapter of our book. One of the sections in this chapter talks about IVF. It really just skims over the IVF process and why some couples need to pursue IVF. Then it has a section at the end that talks about the first IVF baby born in 1981 and talks about studys to determine if IVF babies develop differently than naturally conceived babies. It's all pretty interesting but one of our homework questions in the book asks this:
When infants are conceived via IVF, what if anything does this predict about their later development?
At first I was taken back by this question. I mean when we were going through IVF I didn't think my child would be any different than a child we conceived naturally. When we were planning the procedure for our adopted embies, I wasn't planning on treating them any differently than if I conceived them naturally. Our children no matter how they were conceived would be treated just like they were our children. Sure we'd cherish, love, and care for our children way more because we know how hard it was to have them in our lives. But I don't think they would be any different than our neighbors child who was conceived naturally.
What do you think?
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
9 months ago

4 comments:
I, too, thought the same thing until I was blessed with becoming pregnant through Embryo Adoption. Then I found out I was high risk specifically because my babies were created through IVF. I'd love to hear what you find out at school. Why are they different???
Thanks, Breen.
Hugs!!!
2 Jens
Hi Kabrina! interesting class, I'd love to hear the answer according to your book (and it would be interesting to see when the book was written). When we did our IVF we were told the girls development would be the same. I could see that with IVF you have a higher chance for multiples, and thus a higher chance for prematurity which could delay their development a bit...but that's the only thing I can think of. I hope you and Cart are doing well. I think of you guys often.
I didn't know the fact that they were conceived via IVF would have any effect on later development. Let us know what you find out!
I have been told that because I am an IVF mother and a mother who has suffered loss I get labeled "precious parent" and my daughter a "precious child". From my understanding all it means is that I am likely to be quicker to seek medical care if she is sick, I am more likely to need more/closer attention during the pregnancy. I'm more likely to be paranoid. It describes me pretty well.
Post a Comment