Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Not Going Private

I have spent the last month really thinking about if I want to take our blog private. I do but I don't. Here is the what happened.

We have an open adoption with Faithe's birthparents. Since she was born we would text regularly. I feel we have a good relationship. Last month I received a series of texts asking questions about our blog and with a link to the blog. At the time this freaked me out. I mean I felt very uncomfortable. We pretty much share everything with Faithe's birthparents so them seeing our blog is not a big deal. But in doing some behind the scenes research on the blog I discovered that the way our blog was found was through a specific google of our blog name. Which ensued some questions. So yes I was uncomfortable, and still am a bit.

Since this transpired our relationship has changed with our birthparents. We no longer text and now communicate through a website set up for adoptive parents and birthparents to communicate. In the long run I think it will be better for all of us. If I email them they can decide if they want to read the email versus a text it pops up right on the phone. This website is also where I post all the lifebooks for them as well. I am glad this website is there and will allow us to communicate with each other as often as we like.

This is still considered an open adoption and Faithe will know who her birthparents are and the love that they have for her. You never know how an adoption triad will go until you are in the situation. Other adoptive parents who I've spoken to have said we have a rare relationship. I'm grateful for the relationship we have with them. I'm glad that Faithe will be able to ask us questions about her birthparents and if we don't know the answer we will be able to ask for her.

The only thing that might change here on the blog is the amount of pictures we post of our sweet girl. It is hard to control if someone copies the pictures off our blog. So I haven't decided how to address this issue. I may start watermarking the pictures or just making the picture posts private.

Thank you for being patient as I have made decisions about our blog.

0 comments: