Sunday, November 21, 2010

Adoptive Parents

Yesterday was our adoption class with our agency. We learned a lot. The brought in Adoptive Parents to speak to us about their journey. Their daughter was only 7weeks old. This particular couple was amazing. The father was hilarious and their daughter was so cute. They talked to us about their most difficult moments and the amazing moments. When they received the call the wife was the first to find out. She was writing down notes and said she apparently was missing details. They were told the weight of the baby was 6lbs 10oz. All she heard was the 10 and told everyone they talked to that the baby was 10lbs. I found out that they didn't set up a nursery. They said when they got the call people came out of the woodwork giving them stuff. I'm still processing that part. We are actually going to buy our crib today. I want to have parts of the nursery set up because that is something I can control in an uncontrollable process. Honestly for the nursery all we have to buy is the crib. I have a dresser in the attic that just needs to be stripped and stained. It was my dresser at my moms house. I also have a little table that my brother and I used when we were toddlers. So we'll just need to buy a mattress and the bedding and then we'll paint the room. (that is a little bit away, the room is still a storage/office room).

The agency also had a birthmother come in. Her story was an interesting story but to me didn't seem typical. I know that in adoption their isn't a typical birthmother or father but hers was very unique. I don't think I could have ever done what she did. And she continues to come speak to groups at the agency. She is an amazing woman.

We also talked about how to raise an adopted child. When to tell your child they are adopted. Our social worker said that we should start early and don't make it an event. She remembers asking an adoptee one day when he found out he was adopted and he couldn't remember, because it was always talked about with him. Cart gained the most out of this segment of the class.

I did ask the name question too. They said that BM and BF only receive our first names. They suggested that on FB I change my name to my nickname and that Cart changes his to his legal first name. They also said that in this day in age you can google anyones name and find out at least where they live, phone numbers and sometimes email. I randomly google my name every so often and not much comes up. I think we'll be safe with just changing our names on FB.

I also found out that our agency has a website for the FL couples waiting with our agency. I skimmed through the couples last night and noticed a lot of couples had links to photos or websites. I was thinking about creating a new blog for this particular purpose. I don't think it would be appropriate to let the BM see this blog so early on. So creating a blog under my business account, in which I can have pictures and our letter to the BM will be good.


1 comments:

Ashley said...

I know some people think setting up a nursery early on is "jinxing" everything, but that's what I plan to do. At least have the basic necessities handy!